Saturday, August 6, 2011

# 31 What I've Done

It's been a big week for me, and the biggest thing was finishing my diploma studies are two long, stressful years. It was a real milestone for me, because there were so many times where I wanted to give up. So mentally, for me to keep going with it was a big effort. And what happens now? Well, it's the start of a new chapter, a new beginning. Linkin Park's song "What I've Done" is a track that I think everyone can relate to, and this week, I certainly have.

"What I've Done"

I'm particularly pleased how this painting turned out, because I feel as though the message is clear on many different levels. First of all, having Shadowy Guy looking at his hands is reference to "While I clean this slate, with the hands of uncertainty." As for the sun? In a world of so many uncertainties, there is something we can always be certain of - the sun will rise again tomorrow. Also, a rising sun is a reference to a new start, which is what the song is all about. Also, Shadowy Guy is somewhat alien-like in this painting, which is a reference to "I'll face myself, to cross out what I've become". In this painting, Shadowy Guy has turned into somebody he doesn't want to be, and now he must start again.
- JD

No comments:

Post a Comment