Wednesday, January 5, 2011

# 1 "Papercut"

Last night, I completed my first painting.

I started off with a 8x10 canvas, which is actually quite small, but I figured if I'm going to do 52 of these, I'll need the space to store them when I'm finished. So to start off with, I sketched an outline of my painting onto the canvas, and then began to paint (in fact, I got so carried away I actually ended up painting over my sketch). For this project I used only two kinds of paint - titanium white and black. The painting took roughly 2-3 hours to complete, and that's mainly because I was so out of practice and I couldn't get my shading right. However, I really like my character, and I gave him a name - "Shadowy Guy". Not exactly an original name, but hey, it seemed to fit. I intend to use this character in every painting I make for this project. Next, as a final touch, I grabbed a black sharpie and wrote "Like I'm Paranoid" across the top of the canvas. I've decided I want a to incorporate some of the lyrics into my painting as well - I figured it'd be nice to have a running theme through all my paintings.

And here is the finished product:

"PAPERCUT"



"Papercut" is one of my favourite songs from Hybrid Theory, and when Linkin Park play it live, the energy is just incredible. My interpretation of the song is that it's about insanity, and the lyrics reveal traits of a person suffering from schizophrenia. I wanted "Shadowy Guy" to display that, and I think I've achieved it. Looking back, I wish I had put a bit more emotion on the character's face, but maybe his vacant expression works. I dunno, you tell me! Ha ha

Next up, One Step Closer.

- JD

No comments:

Post a Comment